- There are 23 vertebrae in the human body
- Human DNA is broken up into 23 chromosomes
- The ideal orbit for a satellite is 23,000 miles above the Earth ("Clarke's Orbit")
- The Earth is tilted at an angle of 23.5 degrees (At the moment)
- A hedgehog maintains a metabolic temperature of 23 degrees
- There is a mass extinction every 23 Ma
- A full turn of the D.N.A. helix occurs every 23 angstroms
- The Barry Kavanagh lives in No.23 (Which was changed deliberately by Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown
- 2/3 =.666
- 23 Skidoo
- There is no No. 23 bus in Dublin (There is a 22a )
- In the movie THX1138 (starring Robert Duvall and Donald Pleasance - directed by George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppala), the main police droid is number 23.
- 2+3=5 (all hail discordia etc.)
- In Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, the meeting in the Conservatoire des Arts et
Métiérs in Paris,
where some strange shennanigans take place, is held at midnight on June 23.
In the The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien,
Policeman Fox goes mad and disappears on a certain June 23rd after
having spent a whole hour alone in a private room with Policeman McCruiskeen
and 'has never spoken to anyone since that day and he is as crazy as tuppence-half-penny and as cranky as
- It's -23 celcius on Mars
- Pope John 23
- The Germans had 23 divisions on the Western Front in 1940 versus 110+ French
- Charlie Company - the troops responsible for the My Lai 4 massacre in Vietnam belonged
23rd division of the US Army
- Brian Boru died on 23 April 1014 (apparently killed by a viking named Brodar)
- The Dublin Easter Rising was set to happen on the 23rd of April 1916, but arms were late arriving
so it took place on the 24th of April.
- Shakespeare as born on 23rd April 1565, and died on 23rd April 1616.
- Henry II (Enricus Rex) authorized the first British invasion of Ireland on 23rd of August
- Dagobert II (The last Merovingian king) was killed on 23rd December 679 in the Ardennes forest of France.
- The design of the United States flag has changed 23 times since the declaration of Independence.
- There's 23 Million North Koreans.
- Father Saunier of Rennes-le-Chatteau spent 23 million francs.......in one year.
- Comet Hale-Bopp was closest to earth on the 23rd of March 1997
- 'The Maya continue to withhold many of their secrets but the facts that we
do know exercise a certain fascination. Perhaps the most relevant of all is
a very precise date they have left us - a date in the future rather than
the past. Rather than using one calendar, the Maya used several, including
a 260-day one for making predictions and the 365-day solar one similar to
our own. The third, however, is called the Long Count, consisting of a
continuous count of days beginning from the start of the current world age
on August 13 3114 BC, and running through a cycle of some 5,200 years. It
is due to end on December 23rd, 2012, giving us a date for the end of the
world.' *Myths of the Maya* - *The Irish Times* Saturday, April 24, 1999.
- 23 April 1014--Brian Boru defeats Vikings @ battle of Clontarf
- 23 April 1556 --Bill Shakespeare born, Stratford
- 23 April 1616 --Shakespeare dies, Stratford
- 23 April 1616--Cervantes dies, Spain
- 23 April 1950 --Lucille Ball & Desi Arnez form Desilu Productions
- Paul O'Neill was a member of George W. Bush's war cabinet for 23 months. Chaos!